Eggplant, like other solanaceous plants, is greatly bothered by a huge army of garden pests. And it also happens that plants suffer from sudden changes in weather or lack of nutrients in the soil.
Therefore, it is so important to understand the cause of the detected troubles, and only then proceed with the introduction of effective protective and preventive measures.
The Colorado potato beetle is a formidable pest of eggplant, potato, and tomato. Moreover, the annoying whale does the most damage to the blue crop. Having had a drink on the plants, he leaves behind naked skeletal branches.
In winter, the beetle hides in the soil in the garden where solanaceous vegetables were planted. It is selected in May-June with the heating of air and soil to +14 degrees.
During summer, females of Colorado have time to breed 2-3 new generations. They lay eggs on the lower part of the leaf plate, and after 2.5-3 weeks, voracious larvae hatch from them. In a few days, they, together with their adult relatives, are able to thoroughly gobble up all the plants in the open ground and in the greenhouse.
Methods of dealing with the Colorado potato beetle on eggplant planting are as follows:
- Systematic inspection of bushes and manual removal of egg-laying, larvae, and beetles themselves.
- With mass distribution, it makes sense to resort to treatments with biological or chemical means of protection. For this, one of the following preparations is dissolved in 8-10 liters of water: Citcor (1.5 milliliters), Fitoverm (10 milliliters), Aktara (1 gram), Bancol (4-6 grams), Actellik (40 milliliters), Kinmix ( 2.5 milliliters), Inta-Vir (1 tablet), Sherpa (1.5 milliliters).
Despite its tiny size and fragile appearance, the greenhouse whitefly does tremendous harm to greenhouse eggplants. A flying insect is most often found on the back of tender young leaves in the upper tier of the bush.
Larvae and adults feed on tissues and plant juices, in the process of isolating sticky sugary compounds on which carbon black mushrooms grow. Dark plaque quickly spreads over the entire leaf plate and causes the mass death of the green parts of the eggplant. As a result, the yield of plants affected by the whitefly leaves much to be desired.
For wintering, this eggplant pest settles in the cracks of the greenhouse and on uncleaned vegetable tops.
To expel the greenhouse whitefly from the greenhouse allows one of the following methods:
- A high-quality collection of plant residues at the end of the season.
- Thorough autumn disinfection of the greenhouse with colloidal sulfur, which is burned with locked doors.
- The room in the greenhouse special yellow traps on an adhesive basis. The preferred length of such a trap is about 20 centimeters and a width of 12 centimeters.
- Resettlement in the construction of a protected ground of encarasia – an insect that eats whitefly larvae.
- If there are a lot of butterflies or the mentioned methods did not have the expected effect, it is recommended to spray the plantings with one of the following store products (per 10 liters of water): Citkor and Sherpa (1.5 milliliters each), Actellik (40 milliliters), Inta-vir ( 1 tablet), Confidor (1 milliliter), Funfanon (10 milliliters).